Food Allergen Fatality
Speaking about the untimely and tragic death of her son Paul at the age of 38, Margaret Wilson, Paul’s mother said the jailing of Mohammed Zaman for six years for manslaughter and breaches of food safety regulations will do nothing to heal the pain of losing her son the father of a nine year old boy.
Paul who had a known nut allergy died after he consumed just one mouthful of a chicken tikka takeaway meal which was delivered to his home. The court heard Paul’s death could have been avoided as he had notified the restaurant of his allergy when placing his order.
In evidence the court heard the box containing Paul’s meal had the words No Nuts written on the box. The restaurant owner showed no remorse during sentencing despite the fact another customer was hospitalised following a similar incident only weeks before Paul’s untimely death.
(Ref: FSA September 2016)
This case illustrates the requirement for vigilance, transparency and strict compliance with food allergen regulations.